Thursday, September 15, 2011

Duncan is Two Months Old!

 Well...my baby is officially two months old!  We saw our (new) pediatrician this week...and let me tell you, I'm pretty positive that the staff at our ped's office aren't big fans of me because I BUGGED them incessantly so I could get in with the ped I wanted - who wasn't taking new patients.  Well, there's a reason she was booked...because she is really great.  Finally!  A pediatrician that I click with.  I'm incredibly pleased.  And, because life with  Duncan has been...trying...it was an appointment that I was waiting for.  For starters, she speculated that Duncan suffered from "silent reflux."  And she told us to try baby Zantac for a couple of weeks to see if it helped at all...and I never want to jinx any baby behavior (sleeping through the night...sleeping at all...liking new foods...I was always careful at bragging about any of that with Griff - it is kind of like saying that traffic isn't bad, and then you run into the major jam!)...BUT - since we started the Zantac, D has been a different baby.  Before, honestly, when he wasn't sleeping he was fussing a lot of the time.  Now?  We get periods of happiness!  Smiles! Giggles! Coos!  I am loving it. 

Dr. Collins also noticed that Duncan preferred to look to one side and that he had a little flat spot.  So, her edicts were: no more swing, no more bouncy, no sleeping on back, and no swaddling.  I think Julie said it best when I told her this: "Um, does she know he's a baby?"  Ha!  Thus since Monday, we have dismantled the swing, put away the bouncy, and D has been sleeping in his crib on his side (getting him to stay that way is a challenge, to say the least).  But I am happy to report that he is adapting to those sudden and drastic changes pretty well.  Mom and Dad are having a little harder time...just figuring out where D should hang out when we need to get things done while he is awake...but we are managing.  His doc actually wanted us to see a physical therapist, too...and today was our first PT appointment.  She gave us some stretches and ideas, and praised us for being proactive in tackling this early.  Her take was that his neck is a little tighter on one side, possibly from his reflux and also likely because he was such a big boy and was cramped in utero.  We are going to meet with her weekly, but she assured me that she thinks our PT run will be short.  I have to admit that after the appointment with the doc earlier this week, I was upset; after today's appointment, however, I feel much better.  The therapist actually said a lot of pediatricians wouldn't have even noticed - and I'm glad ours did.



                   
                                   Our two month photo shoot started out with some grumpies...but got a little better :)
 



We don't leave him like this for long..and not unattended...but he's pretty darn cute curled up in there.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment